The United Church of Canada had two churches on the Port de Grave Peninsula, one at the fork in the road in Bareneed and the other in the centre of the harbour. There was also a one room school which was opened until the early sixties, when the remaining eight students went to St. Luke’s and the Pentecostal School in Ship Cove. Due to a declining attendance numbers, both churches eventually closed and along with the schoolhouse was torn down.
At the site of the United Church in the Harbour you will find the old bell and a monument. The church bell in Bareneed can be found in the cemetery. The United Church congregation now attend either Clarke’s Beach United, Grace United, Coley’s Point or Central United, Bay Roberts. Even though the churches are closed the cemeteries are still being used and taken care off by former members of the congregation.
When the Church was closed and removed from the land, work was done and a Cemetery Committee was setup with the following;
Bill Ralph Lorne Gifford
Port de Grave United Church Cemetery Fund
P O Box 1463
Bay Roberts, NL. A0A 1G0
More information to be added regarding Bareneed United Church.
This history board is located on the former premises of the Port de Grave United Church.